JUST ECHOES! EPISODE 1: THE ROOM




“No sir, we cannot accommodate three people in one room. I’m really very sorry” He retorted with absolute bewilderment. “Especially when you don’t have your ID’s”

“Oh come-on! Please be reasonable, She is my cousin and he is her husband, We’re a family, not some college dropouts or hitchhikers” I said pointing towards my cousin Ananya and Sandeep, “Moreover! We have just returned from Mussorie and this our vehicle, we are from Delhi”

“I can understand your problems sir, but rules are rules and moreover police are on high vigilante these days, although I believe you, I cannot risk my job”

“Listen bhaiyya, its already been 11 PM and we will be out by 8 AM as we need to explore Rishikesh and Haridwar before going to Delhi tomorrow as we don’t have holidays, plus, I have my ID right and Sandeep has his company ID too” I turned towards Sandeep and said “Can you please come here?”

“Fine.. I trust you and give you rooms, but you have to take two rooms? Two suite rooms!”

He then quoted his prices with a sheepish grin.

“Sunil that’s really expensive, considering that we are staying here only for few hours but we don’t have much option too! do we? What do you say? Shall we take rooms?” he said in utter disbelief. “Let’s take it sandy and get ourselves good night sleep”

“We will take two rooms,” I said while pushing our ID cards towards his desk, “Tell me one thing, why are policemen taking these night vigils too seriously, Is something fishy?” While pointing towards their signatures along with designations on his hotel register.

“A murder happened in this hotel couple of days ago and trust me, you’re not in one of those rooms” He said with unmistakable apprehension sautéed with uncanny diligence.

“Whattt? A murder in this hotel? No way” We said in unison and loud enough to be overheard by Ananya who was standing in some distance away from us.

“What did I just hear? A murder? In this hotel? Like real one.. Tell me the truth Sandy” She confronted her husband.

By then me and sandy exchanged glances, she obviously overheard the word murder, we cannot deny that plus it was already late night and Rishikesh always has tourists from across the world. So it is highly improbable rather impossible to get another hotel in this wee hour. So we decided..

“Yes darling! There was a murder in this city but not in this hotel, somewhere nearby. So police are on high alert to nab the murderer” He said absolute conviction.

“Yes Anu! There is absolutely nothing to worry plus we two are with you. Don’t worry just chill!” I said in  non-chalant tone.

“Are you sure? Because I smell something fishy! I am not scared of the unknown but when unknown is really unknown, that’s where I stand still. I hope you’re telling the truth guys”

“Absolutely! Nothing to worry”

“Just one more thing sir” the front desk guy said, “If you hear repeated knocks, anytime, even in the middle of the night, do not get offended! Please answer. I request you, sir!” refusing to make an eye contact while being apologetic.

“Of course! Why wouldn’t we? So where’s my room?”

“3rd Floor sir with a nice view and .. ” he stopped intermittently “And yours 1st floor sir, family room”

“Have a wonderful stay sir!”


Comments

Popular Posts